Thursday, December 3, 2015

ABC's of Godly Character - D



D is for Devotion!  Devotion is committed deep love great dedication and loyalty, strong enthusiasm and admiration for somebody or something. Who or what are you devoted to? Are you devoted to your team? Are you devoted to your family? Are you devoted to God and your relationship with Him? Devotion requires work and commitment.  In 2 Corinthians 11:3 Paul says “I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.” (ESV). Paul knew that Satan would attack our commitment to Christ. The moment we get saved, the attacks will begin. From that point on, we are forever in a battle with Satan for your devotion and your soul. We should first and most importantly be devoted to a life for Christ. It is hard, but look at the great reward we will receive. Heaven is where we should desire to live, and we can only get there by confessing our sins and asking Jesus to redeem us. He was devoted enough to pay the death penalty for us, so we should honor and thank Him by returning such devotion. We serve a jealous God. Exodus 20:5 commands that we have no idols. “You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God.” (ESV). We will be either devoted to things or people of this world or to God. Where is your devotion? Jesus made it clear that we can’t have it both ways. If we are going to have God in the center of our lives, nothing or no one can share that unique position with him. Are you devoted to Jesus more than money, the pleasures of this life, recreation, entertainment, sports or even another person, including a family member? Mark 12:30 says “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” (ESV). 

        Prayer starter: Dear Jesus, forgive me if I have given my first love and devotion to someone or something other than You. I know you deserve all honor, glory and praise.  Please help me to become 100% sincerely devoted to living my life for you. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Guide me, show me, and teach me how to live totally devoted to You. In your name, amen.

        Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to start becoming more devoted to God today. Make it a priority to pray and read His word every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment