Monday, December 21, 2015

ABC's of Godly Character - S

S is for Self-discipline and self-control! Self-discipline is the power or ability to control your thoughts, actions, feelings and desires with the intention of improving yourself. Self-control is restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires. It is self-discipline in action. Galatians 5:22-23 says “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” Self-discipline and self-control come from the Holy Spirit living in us. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 says “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified”. It is hard without the help of the Holy Spirit to keep our cool. It can be difficult to not lose our temper or to spout off at the mouth. It can be hard to not go too far in relationships and to save ourselves for marriage. It can be difficult to not overeat or be a slob. It is hard to make it a priority to spend quality time in God’s Word…but all of these things are possible when we let the Holy Spirit control our thoughts, words and actions. With His help, we can accomplish self-discipline and self-control. Tell God what areas you are struggle in and ask Him to help you overcome them. He will when we sincerely ask Him.

Prayer starter: Heavenly Father, please help me learn to control _______ in my life. You know the struggle and battle that I am facing. Give me the strength to stand strong and have self-discipline and self-control. Help me to be a positive example of Your love and not be a negative one. In Christ’ Name I pray, Amen.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to work on your self-control today. Think before you speak or act. Is what you are about to do or say pleasing to God? Is it helpful or hurtful to others and to your testimony? Live out loud for Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment