Thursday, September 12, 2019

Praying for our students through the year - day 20 (T) Thankfulness

Thankfulness is a prominent Bible theme. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." Did you catch that? Give thanks in all circumstances. We should have thankful hearts. Thankfulness should be a way of life for us, naturally flowing from our hearts and mouths. Pray for your children to be thankful today. Psalm 136:1 says "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever." In this verse,  God's Word gives us 2 reasons to be thankful; because He is GOOD and His Love endures FOREVER! Help your children learn what it means to be thankful in all situations; when we are sad or have bad days, when we are stressed, busy, and when life is going good. When our boys were younger I would try to ask them: "What was the best part of your day today? What was the worst part? What was the funniest thing that happened today? Was there anything bad, sad or that upset you today?" This gets your children talking more than asking "How was your day?" Also, once they answer, you can teach them to be thankful during those times. We do prayer requests and praise items at church, it makes me sad at how quickly we can make a list of problems, yet it is so difficult to think of reasons to be thankful. I ask in Children's Church sometimes, "tell me something good that happened today?"... let us all learn to give thanks with grateful hearts! Let’s pray for our children to learn to be more thankful today; we are so blessed and should never take it for granted. 
I can't help but think of the Thankfulness song from Madame Blueberry - Veggie Tales:
I thank God for this day,
For the sun in the sky,
For my mom and my dad,
For my piece of apple pie!
For our home on the ground,
For His love that's all around,
That's why I say thanks every day!
Because a thankful heart is a happy heart!
I'm glad for what I have,
That's an easy way to start!
For the love that He shares,
'Cause He listens to my prayers,
That's why I say thanks every day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment