Friday, November 27, 2015

My Thanksgiving Top 20...

I have so much much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. We were challenged Sunday to make a list of 20 things we are thankful for over the week. First and foremost, I am very thankful for a Heavenly Father who loves me and saved my soul from hell. I am also thankful for my husband, Kevin, who is a wonderful Pastor, Father, and my best friend. I couldn't imagine doing life without him by my side! I am thankful for my 2 sons and bonus son, Matthew, Michael and Dustin; it is such a blessing to see God working in their lives. I am thankful for my parents, who raised me in a Christian Home and taught me to love unconditionally. I am thankful for my big sister, she has always been there for me. I am thankful for wonderful in-laws who love me like a daughter. I am thankful for the churches that taught me God's Word and about a relationship with Christ (Corners Chapel, Southridge, and First Free Will Baptist Church). At FFWBC, we as a family, do ministry together, and all serve. I am thankful for all 9 of my nieces and nephews and my great-nephew (to be born next year). They bring such laughter, happiness, and fun into my
life. I am thankful for the great job I am blessed with, in Christian work environment, where I work with 4 great ladies and my brother-in-law. I am thankful for the FWB denomination and the opportunities it has for my sons to learn to be servants. Truth and Peace has been life-changing for Matthew and I can't wait to see what happens in his life through his ETEAM Cuba experience in June 2016. I am thankful for Operation Christmas Child and being able to serve with such a great ministry. I am thankful for my home where we can raise our sons in a safe environment surrounded by family. I am thankful for the USA, we are such a blessed nation compared to the rest of the world. I am thankful for my Bible; God's Word is alive and true and works in my daily to mold me into a better person. I am thankful for medicine and my doctors who try to keep me as healthy as possible while living with severe asthma. I am thankful for this beautiful world God created and all that is in it. It shouts out that there is a Creator who loves us and gives us things to enjoy. Lastly, I am thankful for my faithful friends who make me a better person.  

True friends are such a blessing. We should be thankful for our true friends and we should strive to be true friends to others.  What does it mean to be a "Real TRUE Friend?" How can you tell who your friends really are? Is every facebook "friend" you have a true friend? Healthy friendships are vital to life, so it's important that we have good friends and that we become good friends to others. God's Word is the ultimate source for determining how to do friendship right. Here are a few key traits that should be present in any healthy friendship.
  1. Friends Forgive. Friends don't bring up old dirt and gossip about each other. They forgive and seek forgiveness with transparency and humility. "Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends." Proverbs 17:9  
  2. Friends love unconditionally! They are there for you when you need them most, not just when it's convenient. "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." Proverbs 17:17 
  3. Friends have your back! Loyalty is vital to friendship. There's no such thing as a "frenemy". "There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24 
  4. Friends tell you the truth. Even when it's hard to hear, friends will speak the truth in love. "An honest answer is a sign of true friendship." Proverbs 24:26
  5. Friends make each other better! "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." Proverbs 27:17
  6. Friends communicate openly. "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." John 14:15 
Let's all strive to live out these traits in our own relationships and I believe our friendships will become more enriching, fulfilling and God-honoring. (adapted from the book Soul Caffeine)

What 20 things are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment